Since I had some spare time today, I decided to try Volker’s tips to revive my halfways broken Sonos setup. My problem was that one player wouldn’t show up at all while a second one would drop from the network after five to 15 minutes. While I was on it i decided to clean out the ZP100 because it tended to get a bit too warm for my liking. Actually there was nothing to clean out so I guess I have to live with it.
After that was done I found that I had to upgrade both of my switches – the main GS716T as well the GS108T in the office – to new firmware releases to be able to set the SPT priority. A major obstacle there was the fact that to update the switch you need to use Internet Explorer so I had to first install XP in a virtual machine before I could actually upgrade the switches. Not nice from Netgear. Since this isn’t documented anywhere it took me a while to figure that one out.
I then disconnected all Zone Players from the network and from their power source. Then I reconnected the ZP100 in my office. Once that one showed up in the Sonos Controller I reconnected the ZP80s in the living room and in my room. Until now no more dropouts or missing players. I’m a happy camper again ;)