I’ve been a Sonos fan for some years now. No more. Two weeks ago I sent in my defective ZP100. Had to pay a service fee of â‚¬ 103,08 to get it fixed or a replacement unit. Today the replacement unit arrived. Oh boy, how happy I was. Now I’d finally be able again to listen to music while working – or so I thought.
So I wired the device but when I plugged in the power cord there was this faint “brzzzt!” sound. “BRZZT?!?” I thought and did a closer inspection of the box sent to me. As I feared, the voltage switch on the back was set to 110V. 110V!
WHO THE FREAKING FUCK SENDS OUT REPLACEMENT UNITS SET TO 110V IN **GERMANY** ??? Without attaching anything like a little note or a sticker to the unit, saying something in the way of “WARNING, Check voltage setting on the back!”. Oh well, so now I paid â‚¬ 103,08 for a ZP100 that never had a chance to play some music. And I’m so pissed
that I consider selling off all my remaining Sonos stuff. Any takers? but will keep the other stuff nevertheless.
What a coincidence. The day after my ZP100 died completely (guess I’ve been too happy there) Sonos announces the S5. Looks like a very good replacement for my ZP100 and as Volker put it: I guess I don’t want just one, but more. Not half a dozen, but two or three would definitely be nice. We’ll see, Christmas is near anyway ;)
Since I had some spare time today, I decided to try Volker’s tips to revive my halfways broken Sonos setup. My problem was that one player wouldn’t show up at all while a second one would drop from the network after five to 15 minutes. While I was on it i decided to clean out the ZP100 because it tended to get a bit too warm for my liking. Actually there was nothing to clean out so I guess I have to live with it.
After that was done I found that I had to upgrade both of my switches – the main GS716T as well the GS108T in the office – to new firmware releases to be able to set the SPT priority. A major obstacle there was the fact that to update the switch you need to use Internet Explorer so I had to first install XP in a virtual machine before I could actually upgrade the switches. Not nice from Netgear. Since this isn’t documented anywhere it took me a while to figure that one out.
I then disconnected all Zone Players from the network and from their power source. Then I reconnected the ZP100 in my office. Once that one showed up in the Sonos Controller I reconnected the ZP80s in the living room and in my room. Until now no more dropouts or missing players. I’m a happy camper again ;)
After a clean upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 (read: a fresh install of one’s Mac) many Sonos users including me were faced with the problem that they suddenly found themselves unable to install the Sonos Desktop Controller. That was because the Installer insisted on the user having to disable some firewall functions which – unfortunately – was impossible for the firewall as we knew it in Tiger is gone in Leopard.
As it were, calls for help on the support forum went mostly unanswered or didn’t provide a working solution. Now today I checked back with the Sonos web site and found that the description for the Sonos Desktop Controller for Mac was updated to include Mac OS X 10.5. So I went and downloaded the file which was still called SonosDesktopController25.dmg. And lo and behold: the file size was different from my previously downloaded copy as well was the creation date. After firing that version up I could finally connect with my ZonePlayers again. Seems like at least someone at Sonoes reads the forums ;)
I just wonder why they didn’t tell anybody that a new version was available. And also why they didn’t change the version number.